Saturday, October 9, 2010

Saturday Night Fun

OK - this *really* shows just how behind I am!  I was catching up on some blog reading (I'm only 649 posts behind now), and read one of Angie's posts about one of Randy Seaver's Saturday Night Genealogy Fun and thought it sounded like fun.  I didn't think to look at the date (I don't think I've read any posts since early June) and when I went looking at Genea-Musings, I couldn't find it and wondered why... duh!  It was from Randy's post from July 17th, "Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - I Write Like..."  It said,
1) Find something that you have written that you are really proud of - the best of your work. Do an Edit > Copy of it.
2) Go to the website http://iwl.me/ and Paste your text into the waiting box.
3) Tell us which famous author you write like. Write it up in your own blog post, in a comment to this blog, or post it on Facebook. Insert the "badge of honor" in your blog if you can.
Late though I may be - and I'm *way* later than Angie - I wanted to try it, it  did sound like fun - and it was.  The first thing I submitted was my first post for this blog - since I couldn't think of anything really good I'd written.  It came up with this:


I write like
H. P. Lovecraft
I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!

Since I wasn't familiar with this author, I googled his name,
 "Howard Phillips "H. P." Lovecraft (August 20, 1890 – March 15, 1937) was an American author of horror, fantasy and science fiction, especially the subgenre known as weird fiction." [1]
I do enjoy reading Edgar Allan Poe and Terry Pratchett (among other authors), but I I decided to double check things, and looked around my hard drive for a book I wrote during NaNoWriMo [2]  thinking to copy a bit of it (I wouldn't consider it my best writing, but it's not a blog post).  While I was looking, I found a little piece I wrote as an exercise.  "The Witchy House"  I barely remembered writing it, but I liked it and thought it was good, so I submitted it (totally missing the inference in the title).  What do you know?



I write like
Stephen King
I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!

Well.  While I quite enjoy reading these types of books, I also read loads of others.  I had no idea that style would show in my blog posts.  [By the way, that book of mine?  It's in the style of Bram Stoker.]

[1]  "H.P. Lovecraft."  Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia.  Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.  8 Oct 2010. Web. Accessed 9 Oct 2010. .

[2]  NaNoWriMo refers to the National Novel Writing Month.  As they say at their web site, "National Novel Writing Month is a fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to novel writing. Participants begin writing November 1. The goal is to write a 175-page (50,000-word) novel by midnight, November 30."  Try it, it's a great exercise in writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment